About this episode
Kelly is a 3-peat Free Throw Shooting Champion, Philly native, and self-described goofball. Despite that grade school highlight, Kelly prefers not to be defined by her accomplishments. A dog mom and proud member of the LGBTQ community, Kelly lives life with her hopes and dreams.
In this episode we talk about:
- transitioning into ultra running from hiking
- the allure of Western States 100
- from winning one of her first ultra races to running in Hong Kong
- showing up and blowing up
- imposter syndrome among elite ultra runners
- finding identity in stillness
- running towards hope rather than away from pain
- tough races and even tougher weather
- the places we go in ultras, literally and metaphorically
- pushing deep, then deeper and deeper still
- lessons learned from Ted Lasso
- crazy long mountain ultras
- the Ouray 100 miler: a team effort
- DNFs and dropping out
- (not so) glamorous suffering
- leaning into uncertainty
- running through grief and unexpected loss
I referenced this quote from the Tim McGraw song “Humble and Kind” written by Lori McKenna.
“Don’t take for granted the love this life gives you, when you get where you’re going don’t forget turn back around, and help the next one in line.”
Follow Kelly on Instagram @kayoungin
This episode is brought to you by Goodr.
Goodr has the slickest shades around, for only $25 and $35. They don’t slip or bounce, and stay on my face way better than more expensive sunglasses.
If you’d like to support me and the show, treat yourself to a pair (or two or three) of Goodr and head over to Goodr.com and get 15% off your entire order with the code FTLR. That’s 15% off at goodr.com and code FTLR. Your face will thank you.
This episode is also brought to you by beam. Did you know you can get a subscription to beam’s dream powder? It’s what I use most nights before bed to help with a refreshing night’s sleep. When you subscribe, you’ll get the dream blend with a bunch of perks like even better pricing, free shipping, a free mug, and a drink frother just for signing up.
Dream helps me wind down at night and it’s made with compounds like melatonin and magnesium that support a better night’s sleep.
Make sure to use code FTLR at checkout for an extra 15% off on top of the 20% discounted monthly rate!
Support this podcast: https://anchor.fm/forthelongrun/support