About this episode
Jimmy Picard is a husband and new father, PT, coach and runner.
In this episode we talk about:
- committing to running in high school
- the D1 collegiate running experience
- running hard every day vs taking easy days easy
- training errors and common running mistakes
- running injuries
- falling out of love with running
- becoming a PT
- stepping away from running and getting into bike racing
- losing the competitive running identity and finding joy again
- addiction and obsession
- injury diagnoses and misconceptions
- treating patients with reassurance
- the stories we tell ourselves around injuries
- overcoming chronic injury cycles
- getting runners back running
- load management and training adaptations
- strength training for runners
- lifting heavy to build strength
- redefine PT
Thank you to Tracksmith and Recover Athletics for sponsoring this episode.
Tracksmith released their fall collection, which was designed to celebrate the seasonal shifts as we find our rhythm this fall. I’m proud to partner with Tracksmith, and they’re going to donate 5% of your order value to the Michael J Fox Foundation for all orders, and you’ll also get free shipping. The Michael J Fox Foundation is dedicated to finding a cure and helping those living with Parkinsons. Both of my grandfathers have or had Parkinsons, and I’m grateful of Tracksmith’s support for something so personal.
Visit Tracksmith.com/forthelongrun to see some of my favorite pieces, and all orders that start from that page will contribute towards this donation!
Recover Athletics is a supporter of not only this podcast, but my own running. It was built in Boston by two lifelong training partners who got tired of aches and pains getting in the way of their running.
In 90 seconds, their app will customize a program for your body and your training. I plugged in some of my more common aches and pains, and I got a custom built program designed to strengthen the muscles and tendons that will help avoid those issues going forward.
Your first custom prehab program is free, AND they have an unlimited free trial. Give Recover a try today. Your legs will thank you
Support this podcast: https://anchor.fm/forthelongrun/support