About this episode
Courtney Frerichs is a perfectionist by nature, a professional runner for Nike Bowerman Track Club and Olympic silver medallist in the steeplechase.
In this episode we talk about:
- running for something bigger than yourself
- being part of a team
- keeping training fun
- the importance of process and non-performance related goals
- executing the present moment
- consistency and staying healthy
- reaching out and seeking professional help
- normalizing therapy and mental work
- dealing with pressure, perfectionism, panic and anxiety
- mental growth preceding physical growth
- addressing mental and physical injuries
- specific mindset strategies to improve performance
- belonging on the track
- Courtney’s roller-coaster road to the 2021 Olympic Games
- being your best self
- taking risks and putting yourself out there
- mental prehab: being proactive rather than reactive
- constantly being a work in progress
- the importance of nutrition and taking care of yourself
Thank you to Tracksmith and Recover Athletics for sponsoring this episode.
I’m proud to partner with Tracksmith, and they’re going to donate 5% of your order value to the Michael J Fox Foundation for all orders, and you’ll also get free shipping. The Michael J Fox Foundation is dedicated to finding a cure and helping those living with Parkinsons. Both of my grandfathers have or had Parkinsons, and I’m grateful of Tracksmith’s support for something so personal.
Visit Tracksmith.com/forthelongrun to see some of my favorite pieces, and all orders with the code FORTHELONGRUN will contribute towards this donation!
Recover Athletics is a supporter of not only this podcast, but my own running. It was built in Boston by two lifelong training partners who got tired of aches and pains getting in the way of their running.
In 90 seconds, their app will customize a program for your body and your training. I plugged in some of my more common aches and pains, and I got a custom built program designed to strengthen the muscles and tendons that will help avoid those issues going forward.
Your first custom prehab program is free, AND they have an unlimited free trial. Give Recover a try today. Your legs will thank you.
Episode cover photo: Cortney White
Support this podcast: https://anchor.fm/forthelongrun/support