About this episode
Henry Howard is a father, husband, runner, professional editor and writer, and running coach.
In this episode we talk about:
- getting into running in his 40s
- from struggling to run 1 mile to finishing 26.2
- chasing adventures and challenges as we age
- finding trail and ultra running
- the allure of Western States Endurance Run
- preparing for big challenges
- building habits and making them automatic
- consistency cause and effect
- visualizing success
- breaking free from goal times and numbers
- focusing on the process and trying your best
- buy in and trust in your coach and training
- success is growing the sport and giving back
- increasing representation in marathon and ultra running through coaching scholarships
- sharing the journey and inspiring others
- the role of coaching and community
- Run Spirited
Thank you to Tracksmith and Recover Athletics for sponsoring this episode.
Tracksmith released their fall collection, which was designed to celebrate the seasonal shifts as we find our rhythm this fall. I’m proud to partner with Tracksmith, and they’re going to donate 5% of your order value to the Michael J Fox Foundation for all orders, and you’ll also get free shipping. The Michael J Fox Foundation is dedicated to finding a cure and helping those living with Parkinsons. Both of my grandfathers have or had Parkinsons, and I’m grateful of Tracksmith’s support for something so personal.
Visit Tracksmith.com/forthelongrun to see some of my favorite pieces, and all orders with the code FORTHELONGRUN will contribute towards this donation!
Recover Athletics is a supporter of not only this podcast, but my own running. It was built in Boston by two lifelong training partners who got tired of aches and pains getting in the way of their running.
In 90 seconds, their app will customize a program for your body and your training. I plugged in some of my more common aches and pains, and I got a custom built program designed to strengthen the muscles and tendons that will help avoid those issues going forward.
Your first custom prehab program is free, AND they have an unlimited free trial. Give Recover a try today. Your legs will thank you.
Support this podcast: https://anchor.fm/forthelongrun/support